I recently read an interesting article about 23 things you should do instead of getting engaged at 23. There was a lot of truth to what this writer said. I agree that there is so much good that can be done before marriage. You can travel, pursue dreams, and change lives. She shared some inspiring ideas of what you could do such as create something with your hands, join the Peace Corps, or start a band. She stated that you only have one life to live so you might as well live it to the fullest. I completely agree with her on the fact that you only have one life to live, but I have to say that I disagree with her on how you should live it. She stated some other things you could do such as: disrespect your parents, date 2 people at once, make out with a stranger, and be selfish. I am by no means perfect, but I can’t imagine these actually being a goal of mine.
We live in a world where people hurt each other all the time. Relationships are ruined by cheating, abuse, and lying. Very rarely do we meet people that genuinely care about each other…People constantly break promises and trample over those they love in order to be more accepted by others.
Imagine if we lived in a world where we truly did live life to the fullest. You don’t have to be married in order to live life fully…you just need to love others. People today consider drinking with your buddies or sleeping around to be enjoyable…but you can’t honestly think that they are happy living like that. That type of life gets old. I think back in my life to the times I was “living it up” and being selfish…those were the darkest days of my life. I didn’t love others well and in return I didn’t have many that loved me back. I meet people all the time who are unhappy and disappointed with the way their lives have turned out. I decided to write 23 things NOT to do in order to challenge people to make choices that will better their lives and the lives of those around them.
This list is not a bunch a rules, rather some helpful tips on how to protect yourself and those you love. I haven’t always abided by this list but I certainly am trying to now. Enjoy!
- Don’t tell someone you will love them forever unless you are ready to commit to marriage.
- Girls: Don’t dress immodestly in order to grab every guys attention (including the 60 year old guy in the Walmart.)
- Don’t spend more money than you make.
- Don’t put others down in order to make yourself look cool.
- Don’t watch porn…you will likely ruin your sex life. Your spouse will never live up to those pictures.
- Don’t just say what people want to hear…tell them the honest truth!
- Don’t make decisions based only on feelings.
- Don’t fall in love with someone who has different morals and beliefs.
- Don’t get a tattoo that you will likely regret in the future.
- Don’t date someone long distance solely through text messaging…you need to spend time face to face.
- Don’t choose your best friends while hanging out at a bar.
- Don’t go to tanning beds everyday unless you want to look fifty years older than you actually are.
- Don’t live together before marriage. Those who cohabit have just as high or higher rates of divorce.
- Don’t do drugs or smoke…it will fry your brain, give you cancer, or turn your teeth yellow
- Don’t be that 25 year old who is still partying at the bars every night…
- Don’t be best friends with the person that will ditch you the moment the next hot person walks by.
- Don’t talk behind people’s backs…it always comes back to bite you.
- Don’t disrespect your parents.
- Don’t spend all of your time watching t.v. or playing video games.
- Don’t judge God by the way people act…read your Bible and get to know Him yourself.
- Don’t eat just to make yourself feel better.
- Don’t think you need a New Years Resolution in order to create healthy habits.
- Don’t lie to others…or to yourself.
So it’s true…you only have ONE life to live. It can either be spent serving others…or spent serving yourself. The choice is yours. You will find that true happiness comes in serving others.
Wishing you all THE BEST in life,
23 Things Blog: http://wanderonwards.com/2013/12/30/23-things-to-do-instead-of-getting-engaged-before-youre-23/ (V: This is by no means meant to offend you. Just offering up a different perspective. You are a beautiful girl and a talented writer.)